Job ID 13460
The position of Waste Technician reports directly to the Manager of Waste Operations and works closely with
the Project Manager and Waste Team, to ensure safe and efficient waste audits.
Types of audits may include Residential (single and multi-family), Industrial, Commercial and Institutional,
Inbound Landfill, and Material Recovery Facilities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Conduct waste audits (~90% of the time) including
• Participate in waste sample collection (e.g. curbside residential waste collection, landfill waste collection,
recycling collection), and sample sorting to characterize and determine garbage and recycling composition by
• Responsible for carrying out work in accordance to project specifications and prescribed methodology
• Work safely by following all health & safety protocols, including proper use of personal protective equipment
• Data entry, analysis & report writing (~5% of the time)
• Administrative & Communication (~5% of the time)
• Other duties from time to time (environmental audits, water sampling, etc.)
Qualifications and Requirements:
• Degree or Diploma in Environmental Studies or related field preferred
• Interest in Waste Management
• Must possess excellent oral, written, organizational and multitasking skills
• MS Excel and MS Word knowledge and use preferred
• Ability to work well in a team setting
• Ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment
• Must be punctual and dependable
• Driver’s license with clean driver abstract; comfortable driving pickup truck and pulling a cargo trailer
Professional demeanor Competencies:
• Integrity — Job requires being honest and ethical.
• Attention to Detail — Job requires being careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks.
• Dependability — Job requires being reliable, responsible, and dependable, and fulfilling obligations.
• Cooperation — Job requires being pleasant with others on the job and displaying a good-natured, cooperative attitude.
• Excellent Communication skills
Typical Activities/Physical Abilities:
• Regularly required to sit, stand, walk
• Able to drive pickup truck and pulling a cargo trailer
• Able to lift 20 kg
• Regularly required to work outside in varying weather conditions
PPE Requirements: Half-mask respirator/mask, Safety glasses, Gloves, Hard Hat, Safety Footwear, Coveralls, Reflective vest