Solid Waste Collection Operator (DZ License)Contract Full Time posted 4 months ago
Merit Services is looking to hire Solid Waste Collection Operator with DZ license. Join our dedicated team and play a crucial role in maintaining a clean and sustainable environment for our community. If you’re passionate about contributing to a cleaner future, this opportunity is perfect for you.
- Operates a wide variety of collection vehicles and equipment independently or with a crew member.
- Moves carts/bags to the truck and uses appropriate mechanisms to dump or manually lift onto the truck.
- Operates mechanical equipment attached to vehicles/equipment in a safe and efficient manner.
- Lifts and loads garbage, recyclable materials, organics, organic yard waste, and special pick-up items such as household appliances, discarded furniture, wood, carpet, and electronics.
- Places empty carts and containers back to the set-out location in a tidy manner.
- Assists operator by signaling vehicle which is being maneuvered or backed up when on a two-person crew.
- Drives vehicle to designated disposal facilities and unloads all materials in accordance with requirements of the facility operator.
- Performs Daily Pre-Trip Inspection Report (Circle Check); identifies and reports vehicle and equipment malfunctions; maintains vehicle and equipment in a clean and tidy condition.
- Completes reports (e.g., Driver’s Collision/Incident Report) related to assigned duties and responsibilities.
- Operates 2-way radio or mobile phone.
- Performs other duties at this wage grade level or lower such as laboring type duties, maintenance, and cleaning activities when not operating assigned vehicle or equipment.
- Performs work in a safe, efficient, and courteous manner.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Province of Ontario, Class “D” Driver’s License with “Z” endorsement and must qualify for the City’s equipment operating permits and requirements.
- Must be familiar with requirements of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and its regulations for the safe performance of his/her duties and responsibilities or capable of obtaining familiarity of same.
- Must possess and be able to maintain as appropriate, any valid Province of Ontario requirements to operate mechanized equipment.
- Good driving record and familiarity with the location of major city streets.
- May be required to do shift work in conformance with the Collective Agreement.
- Ability to use or learn to use various technical devices related to the position.
- Ability to deal courteously with the public
- Ability to communicate in relation to their job duties
- Competitive hourly wage with opportunities for overtime pay.
- Comprehensive benefits package, including health and dental coverage.
- Retirement plans to ensure a secure future.
- Training and growth opportunities within the waste management industry.