Legal CounselFull Time posted 3 months ago
Summary: Are you a dedicated legal professional with a passion for making a meaningful impact? Join Client’s team as Legal Counsel in London, ON, and be part of a dynamic team that values expertise, innovation, and collaboration. This is a unique opportunity to play a pivotal role in our legal department and contribute to the success of our organization.
- Provide legal advice on employment and labor law matters. Assist in formulating, drafting, editing and implementing labour & employment related company strategies, policies, procedures (as required) to mitigate risk to the Company.
- Develop strategy, prepare arguments, draft responses, prepare witnesses and represent the company at various legal hearings, including arbitration, the Ontario Human Rights Tribunal, Ontario Labour Relations Board, the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board, courts, etc.
- Advise and assist in the resolution of matters relating to discipline and termination of employment, including constructive and wrongful dismissal.
- Provide guidance on matters related to harassment, sexual harassment and discrimination.
- Prepare employment and labour related legal briefs and legal opinions as required.
- Draft severance documentation, provide advice on severance offers and assist in negotiating settlements.
- Represent the Company at various mediations and/or adjudications as required, and in misc. litigation/small claims/admin law matters.
- Interpret, advise and proactively communicate/ update the Company on employment and labour related laws, rulings, regulations & general compliance, outlining the implications to the Company.
- Provide information, support and direction to outside counsel representing the Company in LR and HR litigation and other matters.
- Draft or review employment contracts to ensure alignment with business requirements while protecting the interests of the Company.
- Other duties as required.
- Law degree (LLB/JD); member of the Ontario Bar (required) and member of the Quebec Bar (An asset)
- 5 to 8 years of relevant experience in labour & employment law in a law firm and/or in-house.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize, work under pressure, work as a flexible team player
- Strong verbal and written communication; effective presentation skills ; effective negotiator & advocate
- Demonstrated ability to provide practical legal advice in a business environment
- Intermediate knowledge of MS Word, PowerPoint, Outlook.
- Competitive compensation package.
- Comprehensive benefits, including health, dental, and retirement plans.
- Opportunities for professional development and advancement.
- Collaborative and inclusive work culture.
- Chance to work with a talented and dedicated legal team.