Legal CounselFull Time posted 5 months ago
- Provide legal advice on employment and labour law matters. Assist in formulating, drafting, editing and implementing labour & employment related company strategies, policies, procedures (as required) to mitigate risk to the Company.
- Develop strategy, prepare arguments, draft responses, prepare witnesses and represent the company at various legal hearings, including arbitration, the Ontario Human Rights Tribunal, Ontario Labour Relations Board, the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board, courts, etc.
- Advise and assist in the resolution of matters relating to discipline and termination of employment, including constructive and wrongful dismissal.
- Provide guidance on matters related to harassment, sexual harassment and discrimination.
- Prepare employment and labour related legal briefs and legal opinions as required.
- Draft severance documentation, provide advice on severance offers and assist in negotiating settlements.
- Represent the Company at various mediations and/or adjudications as required, and in misc. litigation/small claims/admin law matters.
- Interpret, advise and proactively communicate/ update the Company on employment and labour related laws, rulings, regulations & general compliance, outlining the implications to the Company.
- Provide information, support and direction to outside counsel representing the Company in LR and HR litigation and other matters.
- Draft or review employment contracts to ensure alignment with business requirements while protecting the interests of the Company.
- Other duties as required.
- Law degree (LLB/JD); member of the Ontario Bar (required) and member of the Quebec Bar (An asset)
- 5 to 8 years of relevant experience in labour & employment law in a law firm and/or in-house.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize, work under pressure, work as a flexible team player
- Strong verbal and written communication; effective presentation skills ; effective negotiator & advocate
- Demonstrated ability to provide practical legal advice in a business environment
- Intermediate knowledge of MS Word, PowerPoint, Outlook