Project Manager Building Design and ConstructionFull Time posted 2 months ago
Merit Services is looking for a Project Manager for our client. The incumbent will oversee all aspects of the project development and lead projects from inception to end.
• Reporting to the Manager of Building Design and Construction, this position is responsible for effective and efficient project development and/or project management to the standards required by legislation and the City.
• Responsible for the development of the projects and work orders from start to finish. This includes developing projects for funding approval, site visits and inspections, defining the project scope and required activities.
• Must have solid understanding of architecture, construction planning, and engineering to develop hard and soft cost budget estimates.
• Identify all risks associated with the project and assign contingencies to manage the risks. Understand all implications
and establish priorities and recommendations in the context of the City’s multi-year capital plans, the Corporate strategic plan, the funding requirements and funding limitations.
• Work collaboratively with other departments, committees and various advisory groups. Plan, schedule and coordinate all activities related to successfully implementing state of good repair, interior office moves, renovations, additions and the construction of new facilities.
• Provide advice, guidance and technical assistance for all projects. Coordinate the design and development of project drawings and specifications. Make recommendations in accordance with legislation and Corporate Standards.
• Ensure a positive working relationship with clients, area municipalities and other Government bodies to ensure a coordinated construction.
• Apply technical knowledge to all site plan approvals, building/fire codes and accessibility guidelines and construction techniques.
• Establish preliminary and final budgets for projects. Ensure budget control is in place and monitor expenditures during all phases.
• Effectively coordinate all documentation, including all correspondence from architects, engineers, building inspectors, contractors and sub-contractors.
• Evaluate tender documents, engineering reports and consultant proposals and makes recommendations for Council approval.
• University degree in Engineering or an equivalent combination of education and experience in the application of the principles and practices of facility operations and construction.
• Over 5 years of progressive project development and/or implementation experience, renovation and multi-phased major building projects, preferably in the public sector.
• Strong administrative and budgetary skills involving building capital programs and operating budgets
• Over 5 years’ experience managing professional staff, consultants, construction firms and general contractors and leading project teams.
• Knowledge and application of project management methodology, construction techniques, and materials
• Demonstrated knowledge of applicable codes and government legislation including (but not limited to) the Occupational Health and Safety Act and its Regulations, the Construction Lien Act, The National Fire Code, Ontario Building Code, Construction Standards Association, etc.
• Exceptional communication skills both written and oral (English).
• Computer proficiency with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) project software and AutoCAD.
• A valid Ontario Driver’s License Class “G” and the use of a personal vehicle for site.
• Must be able to wear personal protective equipment.
• *Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.